Re: Re: Opinions about the "Oneliners"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40580] Re: [mg40453] Re: Opinions about the "Oneliners"
  • From: David Terr <dterr at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 03:42:06 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

nafod40 wrote:

>Gerry Flanagan wrote:
>
>>Actually, this is a pretty serious problem. We've been trying to make
>>Mathematica a standard language for our engineering firm, but I've
>>struggled for years with developing good documentation standards. The
>>problem is that I have a couple of people that can program in Mathematica style -
>>very compact functional form, but the people that don't use Mathematica everyday
>>can never parse how the functions work.
>>

>Ditto for us. The oneliners are clever tricks, but they are essentially
>opaque. A thick one liner can take even a decent (by our standards)
>Mathematica programmer far too long to understand.

I'll second that! During my 3 years at WRI, I've written essentially all
my Mathematica program in C style, i.e. using If, For, and While loops,
to make it look more like C. Very few of the functions I've written are
just one line, though I'm sure some clever Mathematica programmers could
make much of my code quite a bit shorter, perhaps turning many of my
functions into "Oneliners".