Re: Units, simplification

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg59559] Re: [mg59505] Units, simplification
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:08:43 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Chris,

Try the V4ExtendUnits package at my web site. The BaseSI command converts
all the units to base SI units and then simplification automatically occurs.

Needs["Miscellaneous`V4ExtendUnits`"]

Ampere Meter Meter/Joule Tesla
% // BaseSI
(Ampere*Meter^2*Tesla)/Joule
1

If you supplied a valid email address, assuming 'not valid' is not you
address, you could receive a reply much sooner.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: KaeL [mailto:not_valid at w.pl]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hi folks,

I admit I am not too experienced mit M. (v. 5.1).
My problems regards simplification of unit equations.
Consider such a simple entry:

Simplify[Ampere Meter Meter/Joule Tesla]

Explanation for non-physicist: this is equal to 1
Usage of "<<Miscellaneous`Units`" does not help here, as this package
is rather _conversion_ (SI into cgs, .i.e Tesla into Gauss) oriented.
Running "<<Miscellaneous`PhysicalConstants`" does not help either, as
this package rather _introduces/defines_ the units. And you would need
here sort of relation between units-am I right?

Any idea how to solve my problem?

Regards, Chris