Re: Re: "Mathematica in Education and Research"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg61020] Re: [mg60975] Re: "Mathematica in Education and Research"
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 02:48:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I agree that it would be unreasonable to expect a journal of this
type to be distributed for free although the actual costs of a
competenly published online journal ought to be quite low, given that
most of the work is done by by unpaid labour: authors and referees.
(At least I have never been paid in either role.) However, the main
point the OP seems to be making is that it is obviously unreasonable
to be expected to pay $45 dollars for a one year subscription if you
are "slightly interested in one of the articles". The solution is
obvious: individual articles should be available for download for a
much lower price, which is actually the practice followed by many
online journals.

Andrzej Kozlowski