Re: Beginner: Importing files, maintaining file format.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60637] Re: Beginner: Importing files, maintaining file format.
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 05:42:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

if your data are already in Mathematica format,
i.e.
the file is only
----------------------------------------Begin:
field.m
{ {{0,0,0},{0,0,1}},
  {{1,0,0},{0,0,1}},
  {{1,1,0},{0,0,1}},
  {{0,1,0},{0,0,1}}}
----------------------------------------End:
field.m
you can use Get[]

myfielddata=Get["field.m"]

Regards
  Jens

"smotz555" <greenli7 at msu.edu> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:dgtjms$2fs$1 at smc.vnet.net...
|I know there must be a simple solution to this...
|
| I have an array.dat file, that has an array in
it that is already formatted and ready to plot.
I'm going to be using the ListPlotVectorField, so
array.dat is in the format {{point,vector},...}. I
didn't see anything that let me take in 4 data
points into that format, so I made the array.dat
fit the ListPlotVectorField format within the
program it is generated.
| Basically I want to get from that .dat file to
being able to plot.

| I've tried using import, but the line and table
format there won't hold the format of the file.
| So I tried Import["array.dat, "Text"], which
would be optimal but resulted in the output being
considered as text, being put in "s, and wouldn't
plot until the " were removed. I don't really want
to remove those by hand...

| Then I tried using !!array.dat, but I can't seem
to label that output as anything.  I tried
!!array.dat followed by varray = %, but when I
plotted it said varray was null. I also tried a
few other things similar to that.

| Any suggestions or a better method?
| Maybe there is another specification I can put
in the Import function?