Re: Minimizing Mathematica file size for source code control?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83371] Re: Minimizing Mathematica file size for source code control?
  • From: Albert <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 04:55:20 -0500 (EST)

Hi Eckhard,

> Tim Wichmanns nbcache utilities consist of two Perl scripts. The first one,
> size. The script is independent of the source-code control system used; it
> can be used with RCS, CVS, SVN, ClearCase, ... Of course, you *could* call
> rmnbcache automatically in a CVS or SVN pre-commit check script, but "server
> side" is not a requirement and was not the original design intention.
>
> On the other hand, the second Perl program, testnbcache, is meant to be used
> as a server-side pre-commit check script and was designed for use with CVS.
> testnbcache checks if a notebook being checked in still has cache data and
> rejects a commit if this is the case. If you want to use it with SVN, then
> you would have to write a SVN pre-commit hook script that calls testnbcache
> as a subprogram.

Of course that is all correct and much more precise than what I wrote,
thanks to bring the details back to my and other's mind. I didn't really
want to make the impression it has to run on the server side but merely
wanted to mention that it can do so...

> I am using the nbcache utilities for Mathematica up to v5.2 in both CVS and SVN
> environments. I have no experience with v6 either, but since the tools are
> still being used by my former colleagues for Mathematica application
> development (www.analog-insydes.de) up to v6, I suppose that they still
> work the way they did for previous Mathematica versions.

nice to hear it is still in use. I think I should start using it again...

albert