Problem: different behavior, interactive vs noninteractive

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81713] Problem: different behavior, interactive vs noninteractive
  • From: oshaughn <oshaughn at northwestern.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 05:33:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I'm trying to efficiently generate a large number of nicely-formatted
plots for publications with mathematica.  Historically I'd used the
ExtendGraphics`Ticks` package.  This package used to work fine whether
run noninteractively or in the front end.  Now, however, I'm having
problems when this is run noninteractively:

Example:
     <<ExtendGraphics`Ticks`
     apjTickFunction[min_,max_]:=
        TickFunction[min,max,MajorStyle->{Thickness[0.001]},
        MinorStyle->{Thickness[0.001]},MajorLength ->{0.06,0},
        MinorLength ->{0.02,0}];
     p0 = Plot[x, {x,0,1}, FrameTicks->apjTickFunction];
    Export["tmp.eps", p0, "EPS"];

This code produces two different graphics, one with ticks and one
without, if run on the front end or directly from the kernel.
However, by using AbsoluteOptions[p0], it seems that both plots do
indeed generate the same intermediate ticks before rendering.

I noticed that the DisplayFunction is slightly different, but I
believe that's just related to the new syntactic sugar for displayed
plots in the front end.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?