Re: Re: Converting notebooks to use Mathematica Player

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82771] Re: [mg82608] Re: Converting notebooks to use Mathematica Player
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 05:47:15 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 05:18:17 -0400 (EDT), Nasser Abbasi wrote:

> "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org> wrote in message news:...
>

>> Hello;
>>
>> Could someone please look at my notebook and let me know what the
>> conversion failed?
>>
>> I have a screen shot of the error message and the notebook itself.
>>
>> I read the guidelines, and I have SaveDefinition->True in there but I
>> get
>> an error about unsecured symbols? I also merged all cells into one, but
>> this did not help.
>>
>> This works fine in Mathematica 6.0.1
>>
>> http://12000.org/tmp/oct_27_07_player_problem/not_secure_symbols.PNG
>> http://12000.org/tmp/oct_27_07_player_problem/project1_nasser_problem_three _
>> DEMO.nb
>>
>> thanks,
>> Nasser
>>
> UPDATE:
>
> I got email from WRI support to add more intialization code in the
> Manipulate to deal with this unsecured symbols problem that the on-line
> converter does not like.
>
> I did this, and the error went away, and the conversion was ok.
>
> But the .nbp file still does not run as it does inside Mathematica. I send
> email to support.
>
> If anyone insterested in trying the player file (.nbp) , I've put it along
> with the original .nb file in here
>
> http://12000.org/tmp/oct_27_07_player_problem/
>
> Please feel free to give it a try. You can see that the .nb file works OK,
> but the .npb does not, at least not on my system. I am using XP, and
> Mathematicqa 6.0.1
>
> thanks
> Nasser

Actually, it *doesn't* work fine in Mathematica.  Here's a very important
criterion to understand for working in Player.  If the file does not work in a
fresh session of Mathematica without requiring Shift+Enter or initialization
cell evaluations, then it will definitely not work in Player.

For a Manipulate, one typically uses FullDefinitions as an easy way to slurp the
code into the dynamic evaluation.  Another way is to use the Initialization
option.

Your .nb file does not pass this test in a regular Mathematica, so you cannot
expect it to work in Player.

For what it's worth, learning to fulfill this criterion will not only fix Player
documents, it will generally make your Mathematica interfaces more robust and
easier to use, since their functionality won't rely on a history of potentially
obscure user actions.  I mentioned some other issues for making solid interfaces
in my talk at the 2007 Wolfram Technology Conference.  My talk notebook is
here...

http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Conferences/6992/

Sincerely,

John Fultz