RE: Re: A riddle: Functions that return unevaluated when they cannot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82777] RE: [mg82716] Re: A riddle: Functions that return unevaluated when they cannot
  • From: "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 05:50:21 -0500 (EST)

But it is documented in the doc page for Condition. Look beneath "Scope"!
There I can read

"Share a variable between a condition and function body:

In[1]:= f[x_] := Module[{u}, u^2 /; ((u = x - 1) > 0)]

In[2]:= f[0]

Out[2]= f[0]

In[3]:= f[6]

Out[3]= 25"

I must confess I do not really understand the use of the concept "Scope"
here.

Best regards

Ingolf Dahl