Re: DifferenitalD vs CapitalDifferenitalD

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87939] Re: DifferenitalD vs CapitalDifferenitalD
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 03:22:39 -0400 (EDT)

fizzy wrote:
> After applying Jens correction, I was hoping to be able to use the
> DifferentialD  with x, etc. and then use the 'dx' , where 'd' here is
> DifferentialD (just dont know how to add it here in the email),  so it
> would be a Symbol....but this didnt work....I realize I can use the
> straight forward   dx , etc.  symbol but I want to highlight the
> Differential....any way to 'fix' this?....when I type in  DifferentialD
> , from the Palette, and then add x to it and perform  //Head on it , it
> just returns DifferentialD
>
> thank you....jerry blimbaum

\[DifferentialD]x cannot be used as a symbol because \[DifferentialD] is
treated as an operator.  A symbol name must start with a letter.

But why do you want to use \[DifferentialD]x as a symbol anyway?  I
cannot imagine any reasonable application for this.  If you explained
your motivation for wanting to have a symbol with this name, perhaps we
could say something more useful ...