Re: enter key on new Mac MBP

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89011] Re: [mg88948] enter key on new Mac MBP
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 03:10:37 -0400 (EDT)

Found this on MacWorld:
-----

There have been a couple of help requests for remapping the OS X
keyboard. There's very little info out there right now about this
topic, but I just stumbled across a bit of evidence that it should be
possible, although more difficult than it has been in the past.

Reading the MacAddict forums, I came across a thread called OS X Key
Mappings. In that thread, there's an email posted from Marcel
Bresnick, the author of "PrefEdit," who also has written some OS X
Server 1.x keyboard mapping hacks. Here's a snippet of his response on
customizing the OS X keyboard maps:The keyboard layouts are stored in:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Frameworks/
   HIToolbox.framework/Resources/*.lproj/Localized.rsrc

The * has to be replaced by the respective language name. Every
language package contains 32 keyboard maps for _all_ keyboards, so
there are in fact 224 (!) keyboard definitions. (This doesn't make
sense, looks like a quick hack to implement Macintosh keyboards on top
of Darwin...) If you want to do it right, you would have to repeat the
keyboard redefinition for all language packages.He goes on to explain
how to edit the files (in theory, not step-by-step). Head on over to
MacAddict and read the rest of the Marcel's email for an overview of
how the process would work. Warning - this editing is not for the
timid, and if you mess up, you'll have no keyboard -- so back
everything up first, and make sure you know how to use single-user mode!

------
It's a bit old, and MacAddict is long gone, but it be worthwhile
looking in the localizations.

george