Re: How to programmatically rewrite (x + y/z) as (xz+ y)/z ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89204] Re: How to programmatically rewrite (x + y/z) as (xz+ y)/z ?
  • From: Salvatore Mangano <smangano at into-technology.com>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 07:04:16 -0400 (EDT)

I don't think this problem is well specified. Are you saying that you have an arbitray polynomial which may contain sub expressions of the form Plus[x1,x2,x3 ..., y1/z, y2/z, y3/z, ...) where the x's represent terms with no denominator and the y's represent terms with denominator z?

You wish to transform these sub expressions to Plus[zx1,zx2,zx3,...,y1,y2,y3,...]/z ?

Is the denominator symbol (z in this case) an input or does the program need to figure out what the denominator is? Or is it always z?

By taking the time to rigorously define the problem you will be 80% on the way to a solution. If you can do that I think you'll be more likely to get a useful answer.