Re: Re: Primed Symbols in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93870] Re: [mg93786] Re: Primed Symbols in Mathematica
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 05:33:11 -0500 (EST)

I don't see anything about the null byte discussed on the tutorial page you
point to (from either v6 or v7 documentation).  I do see a reference to it on
this page...

tutorial/InputSyntax

where it explicitly mentions that it's \000 (not, as you say, \0).

I don't understand your last remark about Character Map.  There's no reason
that it or utilities like it on other platforms shouldn't work just fine in
Mathematica.

Yes, this is somewhat obscure in the documentation, and has been since it was
originally documented in the version 3 book.  But come on!  It's an obscure
point!

It ties into the underlying representation of Unicode characters (and let me
emphasize, this is standard Unicode and system fonts here...nothing specific to
Mathematica).  If you had a keyboard with such a character on it (assuming such
a keyboard exists), it would Just Work.  If you use a utility (like Character
Map) which allows you to look at the full range of supported Unicode characters
on your system and paste them into applications, it would Just Work.

So in addition to those far easier methods of inserting characters, Mathematica
additionally exposes this detail of the underlying implementation as an obscure
way to get any character you want, if you understand Unicode, if you understand
hex, if you need a character that isn't in the Special Characters palette. It
really shouldn't be surprising that this isn't a headline documentation item.

I apologize for not better explaining myself in my earlier email.  My email
lacked the details mentioned here because I was in a hurry and I knew that
David would understand precisely what I meant.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group