Re: Speech Recognition? Online ISBN databases?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93191] Re: Speech Recognition? Online ISBN databases?
  • From: Marc Heusser <marc.heusser at byeheusser.commercialspammers.invalid>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 02:04:00 -0500 (EST)

In article <ge6ni9$lkp$1 at smc.vnet.net>, AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
wrote:

> Connection between the above two topics is need to make a crude
> inventory (giving author, title, publisher, year of publication) of a
> private collection of roughly 1000 technical and scientific textbooks
> and reference books acquired during the past 50 years.
>
> One option is to hire someone to go through the piles and type in the
> data.  Another is to go through the piles and read the data into
> MacSpeech Dictate (I've read the previous posts on this app).
>
> Third option is to type in or dictate in just the ISBN number or Library
> of Congress Catalog Card Number for each book, then match those against
> one or more databases that will give back the data, given the number.
>
> Anyone know of a database that could batch identify a lengthy list of
> ISBN or LoC numbers?  (Google brings up printed databases, and one or
> two online sites that will process one book at time, but haven't found
> one that will batch process a lengthy list.)

On a Mac there are programs like Delicious Library that will fetch the
information from eg Amazon. They get the ISBN either via the built-in
iCam or you could use one of the reader pens to read the bar code.
This could be the easiest process.

HTH

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
<http://www.heusser.com>