Re: Footnotes, Endnotes in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98223] Re: Footnotes, Endnotes in Mathematica
  • From: mike.honeychurch at gmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 04:34:28 -0500 (EST)

On Apr 2, 4:46 am, AES <sieg... at stanford.edu> wrote:
> In article <gr0ggj$94... at smc.vnet.net>,
>  "Yerex, Robert" <robert.ye... at kronos.com> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to converge on a single tool for my analysis, development,
> > and publication work. Mathematica is great at the first 2, and Publicon
> > seems like an interesting tool for the third. Unfortunately my test
> > drive of Publicon indicates that there is no easy way to merge the two.
> > So for now I am sticking to Mathematica and brute focing stylesheets,
> > etc. I can  ot for the life of me figure out how to do footnotes or
> > endnotes in Mathematica !! I have searched every source I can think of
> > nad the only useful references are to using Publicon.
>
> > Dr. Robert P. Yerex, Ph.D., MBA
> > Chief Economist
> > Kronos Incorporated
>
> What mode(s) or form(s) of "publication" are you trying to generate?
>
> Although opinions differ, for some of us who want to submit journal
> articles, prepare publications or presentations that combine material
> generated in Mathematica with material obtained or generated elsewhere,
> or repurpose or reuse parts or elements from publications generated
> earlier into new publications, the best way still seems to be to Export
> material (graphics, tables, etc.) that can best (or only) be prepared in
> Mathematica from Mathematica into PDF or other formats, and then use
> TeX, LaTeX, Word, Pages, PowerPoint, or any of the numerous other tools
> that are designed to be publication tools as your publication tools.

To write eg. an article or a thesis, it seems to me that you don't
need specialized page layout software (not that word or powerpoint
could ever be described as that). Mathematica can deliver pretty much
everything you will need --- with the exception of endnotes,
particularly with the sort of seemless integration that exists with
Endnote and MS Word/Pages, and footnotes.

I think if endnote (and footnote?) capability existed in Mathematica
then it could genuinely be considered as a tool designed to be
publication tool.

Mike