Re: Any way to make help browser remember the last position?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98777] Re: Any way to make help browser remember the last position?
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 04:52:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 14, 4:17 am, sean_inc... at yahoo.com wrote:
> What bugs me, no, drives me mad, is the fact that, every time I press
> F1 key to invoke the help or 'documentation center,' it goes straight
> to the center of the screen instead of to the right like it did v4 and
> 5.
>
> This started in v 6 except I didn't have much need for using v6. Now
> that I have a need v7, I absolutely hate the fact that help browser
> covers the open notebook and I have to move it manually.
>
> Is there a way to make it remember the last position?
>
> Sean

Sean,

You could modify the notebook file for the "Documentation
Center" (just DC from now on) which is located (on a Mac)

/Applications/Wolfram/Mathematica.app/Documentation/English/System/
Guides/Mathematica.nb

and specify the desired values for WindowSize and WindowMargins
settings. Put the DC window where you want it to always come up and
the size you want it to have and then use "Options Inspector" to find
out these values for WindowSize and WindowMargins. Be careful using
the "Options Inspector" if you are not familiar with it. You should
also make a backup copy of this file just in case you hose it up when
editing it. Another thing you could do is add this file to the list of
AutoOpenNotebooks (could use the Options Inspector for this also) in
the init.m file.

And while you're at it make a spare copy of your init.m file ( on a
Mac this is located in ~/Library/Mathematica/FrontEnd ) as this is
where the AutoOpenNotebooks is saved. You also need to set the
"Saveable->False" to "Saveable->True" if you want it to remember where
this DC window was last (and in fact you need to set this before the
first time you change the size and/or position of the DC window). I
would recommend to everybody that they make a copy of the init.m file
-- if you ever accidently delete it sometime it is very painful to
recreate what it had (the voice of experience -- this has happened to
me and I was very bummed when I didn't have one and had to recreate a
bunch of things all over again).

There might be other side effects of making these changes, so please
make a backup copy of changed files in case you need to go back to
their initial state.

HTH...

-Bob