iterative convolution, discret convolution N times of the same

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102424] iterative convolution, discret convolution N times of the same
  • From: Anna <petitmouton at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 06:04:01 -0400 (EDT)

HI, I'm trying to do N time convulution of a density funtion called
"fd" with itself . I tried to write an algorithm as shown
For[i = 1; convn = fd, i <= N, i++,
 convn = DiscreteConvolve[convn, fd , x, m, Assumptions -> m > 0];
 Print[convn]]

The initial function fd(x) has x as input variable. After the
convolution, the results convn(m) is in the function of m instead of
x. That's the reason why the algorithm I wrote doesn't work after the
first iteration since the DiscreteConvolve function couldn't find the
input in a function as x anymore.

I would like to ask a question is there a way to change the variable
of a function? for exemple: how can I replace a function y = x+1 by y=m
+1 ???? and is there another way to easily do a convolution N times of
the same function? Thank you very much.
Best regards,
Victoria