Re: Plot Label at bottom with quote marks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101683] Re: Plot Label at bottom with quote marks
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 05:36:06 -0400 (EDT)

Don wrote:
> The only way I know of to put a label at the bottom of a Plot is the following.
>
> p1 = Plot[{Sin[3 x] + 0.3 x,  0.3 x}, {x, 0, 10},
>    AxesLabel -> {Text[Style["Years", Bold, FontSize -> 14]],
>      Text[Style["Price", Bold, FontSize -> 14]]},
>     PlotRangePadding -> {0.5, 0.5},
>    PlotStyle -> {Black, Black}];
>
> Labeled[p1, "Fig. 1"]
>
> So far, so good.  But now, I want to use the Drawing Tool to put some text on the Plot  that comes out as a result of the above code.
>
> (Graphics -> Drawing Tools to bring up the palette of drawing tools.)
>
> When I click on the AE icon (for text) at the bottom of the palette and bring the resulting crosshairs
> onto the graph and click on the graph where I want the text to begin, quote marks appear around the label at the bottom ("Fig. 1") and I can't get rid of them.  From that point on, they print with the quote marks.
>
> Does anyone have a solution?  Thank you.

This is because the cell style is changed from "Output" to "Input", and
"Input" by default has ShowStringCharacters -> True, while
"Output"-Cells have False. So you can either select the cell and change
it's format back to "Input" (Format -> Style -> Output) or explicitly
set the Option ShowStringCharacters for the cell to to False with
whatever method you prefer...

hth,

albert