Re: Plot Label at bottom with quote marks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101661] Re: Plot Label at bottom with quote marks
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 05:31:49 -0400 (EDT)

Don wrote:
> The only way I know of to put a label at the bottom of a Plot is the following.
>
> p1 = Plot[{Sin[3 x] + 0.3 x,  0.3 x}, {x, 0, 10},
>    AxesLabel -> {Text[Style["Years", Bold, FontSize -> 14]],
>      Text[Style["Price", Bold, FontSize -> 14]]},
>     PlotRangePadding -> {0.5, 0.5},
>    PlotStyle -> {Black, Black}];
>
> Labeled[p1, "Fig. 1"]
>
> So far, so good. But now, I want to use the Drawing Tool to put some
>text on the Plot that comes out as a result of the above code.
>
> (Graphics -> Drawing Tools to bring up the palette of drawing tools.)
>
> When I click on the AE icon (for text) at the bottom of the palette
>and bring the resulting crosshairs
> onto the graph and click on the graph where I want the text to begin,
> quote marks appear around the label at the bottom ("Fig. 1") and I can't
> get rid of them. From that point on, they print with the quote marks.
>
> Does anyone have a solution?  Thank you.

The reason for this is that as soon as you you use the Drawing Tools to
edit your graphic, it is converted from an Output cell to an Input cell.
Your label "Fig. 1" was input as a string, and the quotation marks are
shown. Try evaluating your modified graphic (Shift-Enter). The resulting
output will display without quotes around your label.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont