Re: Copy Greek text as Unicode?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101729] Re: [mg101684] Copy Greek text as Unicode?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 07:11:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 05:36:16 -0400 (EDT), Szabolcs wrote:
> I was playing with some Modern Greek texts in Mathematica.  I was
> wondering if there is a way to copy strings containing Greek letters
> as unicode rather than the Mathematica representation, so I can paste
> them into other programs.  When copying an alpha (=E1), Mathematica
> places \[Alpha] on the clipboard, and not the corresponding unicode
> character.  This is very useful in most cases, but for this
> (admittedly quite unusual) particular application it is a hindrance.

There isn't a way to change this directly in Mathematica, but there is a
sledgehammer approach which will enable the behavior you want.  If you change
the default language of your system so that it's Greek, then Mathematica will
copy Greek as you expect.  It will also use the Greek ranges of your existing
fonts instead of using the Greek characters in the Mathematica1 font for the
standard mathematical Greek characters, so the math will come out looking
significantly differently...except for \[Epsilon], that is, which is a distinct
character from the modern Greek epsilon as defined in Unicode.

If you're under Windows...I can never remember exactly which one of the
parameters is the magic value that Mathematica recognizes.  Change 'em all,
reboot, and it should be fine, though.  I'm pretty sure you don't need to change
the "display language" (the language that Windows uses for the Start Menu and
other interface elements), though.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com