Questions about assumptions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101749] Questions about assumptions
  • From: Alexander Erlich <alexander.erlich at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:17:26 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I would like to make assumptions like e.g. Element[a,Reals] or b>0 or
simlar ones global in order to avoid using Refine with long assumption
lists every tome. For this purpose, I've found $Assumptions. But I
encountered the following problem:

In[5]:= $Assumptions = Element[g, Reals]

Out[5]= g \[Element] Reals

In[6]:= Conjugate[g]

Out[6]= Conjugate[g]

Why didn't Mathematica just return g?

Maybe, there is a different, or even better way to make assumptions
global to the whole notebook, so that they are considered
automatically (and without Refine or similar)?

Regards,

Alexander