rotate but not resize Graphics3D in Dialog

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101817] rotate but not resize Graphics3D in Dialog
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 04:50:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I want to create a Dialog which contains a Manipulate of a Graphics3D,
like this:

CreateDialog[
 Column[{
   Manipulate[
    Row[{
      Graphics3D[{
        Cuboid[{0, 0, 0}, {x, 1, 1}],
        Opacity[0], Cuboid[{0, 0, 0}, {1, 1, 1}]
        }, ImageSize -> 300, SphericalRegion -> True, Boxed -> False]
      }, Selectable -> False
     ],
    {x, 0, 1}
    ],
   Row[{Button["Close", DialogReturn[]], Button["Accept"]}]
   }]
 ]

With Version 7.0.1 this will not let me rotate the Graphics3D, which is
something I would like the user to be able to do. The reason for this is
obviously one of the special settings for Dialog-Windows which I can
avoid by using CreateDocument instead of CreateDialog and give it some
options to mimic some aspects of a Dialog-Window, like this:

CreateDocument[
 Manipulate[
  Graphics3D[{
    Cuboid[{0, 0, 0}, {x, 1, 1}],
    Opacity[0], Cuboid[{0, 0, 0}, {1, 1, 1}]
    },
   ImageSize -> 300, SphericalRegion -> True, Boxed -> False
   ],
  {x, 0, 1}
  ],
 ShowCellBracket -> False,
 Background -> LightGray,
 WindowSize -> FitAll,
 WindowElements -> {},
 WindowFrameElements -> {
   "CloseBox", "MinimizeBox", "ToolbarBox", "DocumentIcon"
   },
 Deployed -> True
 ]

This is almost what I want, but I would prefer that the user can not
resize the Graphics3D. Up to now I only have found methods and hacks to
avoid both resizing and rotating, but I want to be able to rotate but
not resize. Does anyone out there know a possibility to achieve that?

cheers,

albert

PS: I was surprised to learn that it is not the Deployed->True option to
CreateDocument that controls that behavior of Graphics3D, while usually
Deploy[Graphics3D[...]] will just do that. Is this a bug, or
inconsistent, or do I have a wrong picture?