Player Pro Limitations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101836] Player Pro Limitations
  • From: Andrew J Fortune <mathman at ains.net.au>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 08:01:09 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I have started using Player Pro. I am a hobbyist, and was led to believe
that this was an inexpensive alternative to the full Mathematica (PS I
can't purchase Home Edition, as I live in Australia).

After hours of playing with this product, I still have many unanswered
questions. They are as follows, and I would be glad if someone could
enlighten me on these:

(1) Is there any documentation, "getting started" guides or tutorials
that are SPECIFIC to Player Pro ?? Unfortunately, the only help option
from the Help menu dumps you straight into the full Mathematica
documentation. This is unhelpful.

(2) The comparison table for Mathematica vs Player Pro vs Player states
that, amongst other things, in Player Pro you have the following
capabilities that are not available in Player (i) Dynamic capabilities
other than from Manipulates; (ii) Keyboard entry to text fields; and
(iii) Dynamic document creation. Can someone provide me with examples of
these, as blowed if I can find them ??

(3) If you can't create and edit notebooks in Player Pro, then why is
there an Evaluate menu ? .... Furthermore, why is there a "Replace"
option on the Find dialog ? (PS I tried using these, and they seemed to
be totally crippled).

(4) As a hobbyist, I am not interested in export and deployment of
Mathematica applications and notebooks. Seems to me that if you take
away these features away from Player Pro, you end up with something very
closely resembling the free Player. Is that a fair comment ? (....if it
is, then I am pretty p*ssed off, as it means that I have been misled).

(5) Is it also a fair comment to say that Player Pro doesn't allow you
anything in the way of mathematical creativity, i.e. its someone else's
creation that you plug in to Player Pro, and then export/deploy ?

Thanks one and all for your help. Hope I can get some mileage out of
this product.

regards,
Andrew Fortune,
Melbourne,