Re: best way to save 3D plot as .eps for latex document?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101890] Re: best way to save 3D plot as .eps for latex document?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 19:22:15 -0400 (EDT)

In article <h41f6m$rjc$1 at smc.vnet.net>, summer <summertan at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I have to put a 3D Mathematica plot in a latex document so I save the plot by
> right clicking it and saving as .eps. The problem is that if I save as vector
> graphics the file is 14MB, if I save as BMP inside the eps, the file is 2MB
> still too big and it takes too much time each time I'm recompiling the file.
>
> Is there a way to efficiently save the plot as .eps so that
> 1. the file is small
> 2. quality is still acceptable
> 3. recompiling the latex is fast
>
> What are the necessery steps/settings that work best for that?

In my (admittedly limited) experience:

*  PDF files are generally substantially smaller in size than EPS files
for the same graphic content, and easier to work with; and

*  There are certainly implementations of TeX and LaTeX (I think most of
the newer ones?) that allow one to put PDF files directly into LaTeX
documents.

Maybe this is the direction in which to look?

The TUG users group and TUGboat are recommended sources of info.