Re: A Question about PoteinData function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101991] Re: [mg101967] A Question about PoteinData function
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 04:18:35 -0400 (EDT)

ProteinData[] gives a list of all reference human proteins. Looking at the first few

pl = Take[ProteinData[], 5]

{A1BG,A2M,NAT1,NAT2,SERPINA3}

Getting their names

{#, ProteinData[#, "Name"]} & /@ pl

{{"A1BG",
     "alpha 1B-glycoprotein precursor"}, {"A2M",
     "alpha-2-macroglobulin precursor"}, {"NAT1",
     "N-acetyltransferase 1"},
   {"NAT2",
     "arylamide acetylase 2"},
   {"SERPINA3", "serpin peptidase inhibitor, clade A, member 3 precursor"}}

Select all database entries whose name contains the string "acetylase 2"

{#, ProteinData[#, "Name"]} & /@
 Select[ProteinData[],
  Not[StringFreeQ[ProteinData[#, "Name"], "acetylase 2"]] &]

{{"NAT2", "arylamide acetylase 2"},
   {"HDAC2",
     "histone deacetylase 2"}}

Bob Hanlon

---- Marwa Abd El-Wahaab <m.a.elwahaab at gmail.com> wrote:

=============
Dear Sir,

I have a question about the new function in Mathematica 7, ProteinData
function. ProteinData[ ] gives a list of proteins are identified by what?

How can I know the protein keyword or protein ID as identified in Protein
Data Bank?

I need your advice

Thanks in advance

*Marwa Ali Abd El Wahaab*