Re: Mathematica Animations by High School Students

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102038] Re: Mathematica Animations by High School Students
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 05:55:54 -0400 (EDT)

One minor aggravation in all this: I find it baffling that exporting an
animation from Animate or Manipulate from Mathematica into any video
format results in the animation running forward and then backward. I
have not found any way to get it to export so that it runs once in the
forward direction only. The kids' animations look OK going forward and
back, but there some things we would really like to run in one direction
only. AnimationDirection->Forward doesn't do anything when you export,
as far as I can tell.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont

Dear Helene,

This problem I solved by saving as a movie a list of images, rather than Animate or Manipulate. Just as an example have a look at the following:

(* This is the function to show animated *)
z2[x_, y_] := (1 - 0.62*y/Power[x^2 + y^2, (4)^-1])*
   Exp[-0.15*Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]];

(* This is its graph depending upon paramete v *)
image[v_] :=
  Plot3D[3*z2[x, y]*(1 - v^2)*Exp[-0.15*x*v], {x, -10, 4}, {y, -4,
    4}, PlotStyle -> {Opacity[0.9]},
   PlotRange -> {{-10, 4}, {-4, 4}, {0, 5}},
   ColorFunction -> "Rainbow"];

(* This is the list of graphs *)
a3 = Table[image[v], {v, 0, 1, 0.025}];

(* and the avi file  *)
Export["Full_trajectory\a3.avi", a3, "FrameRate" -> 3]

It has its own drawback: the movie is not smooth. However, one may increase the number of steps and the FrameRate, increasing the file volume, of coarse.

Regards, Alexei

 --
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern
Luxembourg

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

Website: www.iee.lu

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.