The audience for Mathematica (Was: Re: Show doesn't work inside Do loop ?)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102043] The audience for Mathematica (Was: Re: Show doesn't work inside Do loop ?)
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 05:56:50 -0400 (EDT)

In article <h4h235$if5$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:

> ----- (stuff snipped) -----
>
> So of course the inexperienced user is perplexed here.
>
> Now the issue becomes one of language design:  Should the Mathematica
> language -- or any computer language, for that matter -- be designed
> primarily with the inexperienced user in mind?

Fair question.  Perhaps one answer is:  It should be designed primarily
with the _expected audience_ in mind -- and beyond that, should be as
consistent and non-perplexing as possible, for that and for any audience.

As a more specific definition of an expected audience, it seems to me
(and, I think, Helen Read) that Mathematica -- or at least a more
consistent and less perplexing form of Mathematica:

1) Could be very accessible to bright high school students, maybe with
some hand holding;

2)  Could be (and to some extent is) useful to average college students
and to working BS level engineers as a helpful working tool in any
technical or mathematically oriented area; and

3)  Could be (and to a considerable extent is) a very, very powerful
personal hands-on tool for graduate students, faculty, designers,
engineers, and researchers for doing real work in a very wide range of
fields (not just engineering, math or science).

And that's a very massive audience.

(Note that I'm writing here about people whose primary focus is on, and
whose energies are primarily devoted to, the work they want to do -- the
problems they want to solve -- and who do not want to convert their
primary focus to becoming a Mathematica expert.)

Of course, there's the alternative audience of professional Mathematica
experts, whose full time or near full time occupation is becoming expert
at using Mathematica, with all its complexities and perplexing features.
That's a much smaller audience.  (And to be just a little snide here,
many of those people are essentially "programmers", who are hired as
such by the upper levels of my audience #3 above.)

So, which audience is WRI aiming at, because it really can't have both
(or maybe it can, to some extent -- but it really can't serve both well).

==========EARLIER POST HERE===============