Re: Mathematica Animations by High School Students

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102059] Re: Mathematica Animations by High School Students
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 02:04:30 -0400 (EDT)

Alexei Boulbitch wrote:
> Helen Read wrote:
>
>> One minor aggravation in all this: I find it baffling that exporting an
>> animation from Animate or Manipulate from Mathematica into any video
>> format results in the animation running forward and then backward. I
>> have not found any way to get it to export so that it runs once in the
>> forward direction only. The kids' animations look OK going forward and
>> back, but there some things we would really like to run in one direction
>> only. AnimationDirection->Forward doesn't do anything when you export,
>> as far as I can tell.
>>

> This problem I solved by saving as a movie a list of images, rather than Animate or Manipulate.

Yes, I know how to do that, and have made animations that way for more
than a decade. But that "old way" of animating would have been
completely unsuitable for this group of students, who had no prior
experience with Mathematica and only a single 75 minute session to
create their animations. My point is that the new Animate and Manipulate
tools *should* allow you to control the animation direction when
exporting. The inability to do so limits their usefulness, and is
something that should be corrected, IMO.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont