InputField in Dialog or Document Windows

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99546] InputField in Dialog or Document Windows
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 06:39:19 -0400 (EDT)

I sometimes create dynamic presentations in freestanding windows but have
problems when I want the presentation to include an InputField. The problem
is that either I can enter material into the InputField or I can't do normal
evaluations in the main notebook.

The following does not allow any entry of material into the InputField
because WindowClickSelect is False. Any typed material goes into the main
notebook.

CreateDialog[InputField[],

  Modal -> False,

  WindowFrame -> "Normal",

  WindowElements -> {"MagnificationPopUp"},

  WindowFrameElements -> {"CloseBox", "ResizeArea"},

  WindowSize -> All,

  WindowFloating -> True,

  WindowClickSelect -> False,

  Editable -> True];

The following allows entry into the input field. However, the main notebook
is inactivated for any evaluation. For example type 1 + 1 into the main
notebook and try to evaluate it.

CreateDialog[InputField[],

  Modal -> False,

  WindowFrame -> "Normal",

  WindowElements -> {"MagnificationPopUp"},

  WindowFrameElements -> {"CloseBox", "ResizeArea"},

  WindowSize -> All,

  WindowFloating -> True,

  WindowClickSelect -> True,

  Editable -> True];

Another problem is that pressing Enter to accept the InputField content
causes the entire Dialog window to close. InputField and CreateDialog
conflict with each other.

The following again has the problem that we can't type material into the
InputField. Anything typed goes into the main notebook.

CreateDocument[InputField[],

  WindowFrame -> "Normal",

  WindowElements -> {"MagnificationPopUp"},

  WindowFrameElements -> {"CloseBox", "ResizeArea"},

  WindowSize -> All,

  WindowFloating -> True,

  WindowClickSelect -> False,

  WindowTitle -> "Page Window",

  Saveable -> False,

  ClosingAutoSave -> False,

  Editable -> True];

And again with WindowClickSelect -> True we can no longer evaluate anything
in the main notebook.

CreateDocument[InputField[],

  WindowFrame -> "Normal",

  WindowElements -> {"MagnificationPopUp"},

  WindowFrameElements -> {"CloseBox", "ResizeArea"},

  WindowSize -> All,

  WindowFloating -> True,

  WindowClickSelect -> True,

  WindowTitle -> "Page Window",

  Saveable -> False,

  ClosingAutoSave -> False,

  Editable -> True];

I would like to have the freestanding window sit there, to be used or not as
we wish, while continuing to work in the main notebook. Can anyone show me
how to do this? Maybe there is some combination of options that will achieve
the desired result.

David Park

djmpark at comcast.net

 <http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark> http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/