Re: Remove quotes from Cell Expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99555] Re: Remove quotes from Cell Expression
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 00:12:33 -0400 (EDT)

robert prince-wright wrote:
> Can someone show me how to write the list m1 to a notebook without the quotes showing?
>
> m1 = {{"a",b},{c,d}};
> nb = CreateDocument[];
> NotebookWrite[nb, Cell[ToBoxes@Grid[m1],"Text"]]
>
> The expression below gives the right result so there is something missing in my limited understanding of Cell expressions.
>
> Grid@m1

If you unformat the two cells (click in the cell and use the menu item
Cell>Show Expression), you will see that your first cell is of style
"Text", while the second is of style "Output" - that is why they look
different. One way to make a text cell with strings displayed without
quotes is like this:

nb = CreateDocument[];
NotebookWrite[nb,
  Cell[ToBoxes@Grid[m1], "Text", ShowStringCharacters -> False]]

Alternatively, you can specify "Output" style rather than "Text" style
for your cell.

Unformatting existing cells and copy/pasting the expression revealed, is
a great way to create new cell expressions in your code.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk