Re: Introducing the Wolfram Mathematica Tutorial Collection

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99730] Re: Introducing the Wolfram Mathematica Tutorial Collection
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 03:10:38 -0400 (EDT)

> On May 9, 1:21 am, Bill Rowe <readn... at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > In fact, on the Mac, I cannot see any benefit to PDF
> > documentation over the existing online documentation.

and (if I'm kept the threads straight) Bill F replied

> You can set your own Bookmarks, you can add notes, you can search for
> a string and see all the occurances at once and then click on any one
> of them to go to a specific spot in the document, you could even merge
> your own notes into the document by inserting pages from one PDF to
> another and the resulting document would be a whole lot more useful to
> your specific needs. I would wager there are more...
>

> So, can you do any of that with the DC interface - NOPE. Are these of
> benefit? For some yes, and some no.

And Bill F is exactly right -- and there are more such benefits.

PDF is a long-standing, stable, high-quality open standard that was
designed for "documentation" (online and printed); is near universally
used for it (in myriad ways); and is very good at it.  Mathematica isn't.