Problem with parallel evaluation of integrals depending on a parameter

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99869] Problem with parallel evaluation of integrals depending on a parameter
  • From: Alan Barhorst <alan.barhorst at ttu.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 02:29:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me.  I am trying to pass something
like:

G[s_]:=Integrate[F[x],{x,0,S}]
NIntegrate[G[s],{s,0,1}]

to parallel kernels.  The operation is successful in the base kernel
but fails in the other kernels due to the interior integral not being
evaluated.  The error is as follows.

NIntegrate::"inumr" :  "The integrand (   SubsuperscriptBox[ =E2=88=A7 , 0 ,
\
  S ] Sin[ SubscriptBox[ =CF=86$10572 ,  11 ]\   SubscriptBox[ =CF=88$10572 ,
11 ] [x]] \
=C2=AE=EF=A1=BFx  )    SubscriptBox[\"F$10572\", \"1\"] [S] has evaluated to non-
numerical \
values for all sampling points in the region with boundaries {{0, 1}}."

For some reason the upper bound of the interior integral is not
replaced with the grid points on {0,1} in the parallel evaluation.  I
have Distributed the global variable definitions to the kernels after
the function G[s] have been defined.

I have tried several things to break this loose but have been
unsuccessful.  Any pointers are appreciated.

AB
Alan A. Barhorst, PhD, PE	        | alan.barhorst at ttu.edu
Professor					| http://www.me.ttu.edu/
Mechanical Engineering		| Phone: 806-742-3563, ext 241
Texas Tech University
Lubbock, TX 79409-1021

When leaders disregard the law and human dignity, kooks
are emboldened; innocence lost.

Human potential cannot be developed or measured from a
floating moral reference frame.