formatting of string in input vs. output cells

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100253] formatting of string in input vs. output cells
  • From: pfalloon <pfalloon at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 20:58:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
Does anyone know the cell style options which control how strings are
displayed? As a simple example, when you enter the following in a
notebook session:

In[44]:= "x"
Out[44]= x

The output cell suppresses the double quotes "". This also occurs with
things like NumberForm and so on. It becomes a pain when you, say,
print a table of numbers formatted using NumberForm, and then copy
this to a cell of a different type, where suddenly the quotes become
visible.

What I'd like to know is what cell formatting option is controlling
the display/suppression of the quotes, so that I can add to whatever
other cell types I need to use (e.g. "Table" styles). Digging in the
option inspector I have not been able to find anything, and there
doesn't seem to be much documentation either.

thanks,
Peter.