Re: Parallel processing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100260] Re: Parallel processing
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 20:59:59 -0400 (EDT)

On May 28, 4:50 am, dh <d... at metrohm.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running version 7.01 on a quad core CPU. I am doing some heavy
> calculations but was too lazy to use any special commands for
> parallelization.
>
> However, to my surprise, when I check the performance I see that all 4
> kernels a busy calculating.
>
> Does anybody have any info about this automatic parallelization of
> Mathematica?
>
> Daniel

According to this bit of Wolfram news from July 12, 2005 at
http://www.wolfram.com/news/mathematica52.html:

Mathematica 5.2 also supports automatically threaded numerical linear
algebra on all mainstream platforms, enabling linear algebra
operations to automatically run in parallel on all available processor
cores whether multiple or multicore CPUs. Mainstream multicore-based
systems are now available and are expected to be ubiquitous by early
next year, including in notebooks and entry-level systems.

-Bob