Washington DC Area Mathematica Special Interest Group

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114615] Washington DC Area Mathematica Special Interest Group
  • From: "Bruce Colletti" <bwcolletti at verizon.net>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 02:30:52 -0500 (EST)

Mathematica SIG
(http://web.me.com/hrbishop.pmsi)

MEETING

17 December 2010, 7:30 am

Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC)
8301 Greensboro Drive
McLean VA
Southern Corner of Westpark Drive and Greensboro Drive
Agenda

1.  Prepared Talks

"Interactive Map of the Prelude to the Battle of Trafalgar", by Dan Martinez

ABSTRACT.  Dan uses Mathematica to depict the actions of British, Spanish
and French naval forces in response to Napoleon's strategy for eliminating
Britain as a factor in his plans for Europe.

"Mathematica 8.0 and Group Theory", by Bruce Colletti

ABSTRACT.  We'll survey Mathematica's group theory capabilities, getting
down to brass tacks.  This talk presumes a grasp of group theory and because
time is short, will neither motivate its study nor describe its applications
(already discussed in an earlier talk).

"Making a List, Checking it Twice:  Tools for Randomly Selecting Elements
>From a List Based on Specified Probability Distributions",
by Richard Forshee and Arianna Simonetti

ABSTRACT.  Consider a list as an inventory whose elements have properties,
e.g., expiration dates.  In each time period, you want to remove certain
elements based on a probability distribution that depends upon an element
property.  We will show how to do this and thus to update the list.  This
concept can be generally applied to choosing elements from a list in a way
that is neither purely random nor purely stochastic.

"Using Mathematica to Explore Mathematica", by David Vasholz

ABSTRACT.  Mathematica comes with an extremely interesting subdirectory
entitled Symbols that contains 3395 notebooks, each of which is devoted to
the documentation of a different Mathematica function. In this talk I will
show how to use Mathematica to navigate this directory to find items that
would be extremely difficult to locate just by pushing the F1 key. Special
emphasis will be devoted to exploring the use of images across a wide
variety of functions.

2.  Mathematica Gems and Discoveries

Sharing of Mathematica programming oddities
Applications of Mathematica to some areas of science
Something recently read and worth sharing

3.  Mathematica Questions, Possible Approaches and Discussion

4.  New Business

Select next meeting presentation, time and place

---------------------

Directions to 8301 Greensboro Drive, McLean VA (tall, boxy and white SAIC
Enterprise Building at south corner of Westpark Drive and Greensboro Drive):

>From the Beltway, go northwest on Route 7 (Leesburg Pike) and proceed past
Route 123 (Chain Bridge Road). Turn right onto Westpark Drive (Gosnell Road
in the other direction). Turn right at the next light onto Greensboro Drive
and then right into the parking lot. Visitor's Parking is adjacent to
Westpark Drive.

A SIG representative will meet you in the lobby.

Please arrive no later than 6:50AM if you wish to join us for a dutch-treat
breakfast, and no later than 7:20AM to attend the meeting only. The desk
officer will ask for a driver's license before issuing a visitor's badge.