Re: few things would be nice to have in next version of

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114699] Re: few things would be nice to have in next version of
  • From: Oliver Ruebenkoenig <ruebenko at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 03:53:36 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

> I thought I take a minute to write down few things before I
> forget them, that I think would be nice to have in Mathematica
>
> 1) Need an Incomplete Cholesky decomposition function. Could
> add an option to current Cholesky decomposition function to
> allow one to supply a drop tolerance value. Mathematica only
> has Cholesky decomposition

That seems doable. I have talked to the developer doing this and most
likely put it on the agenda.

Btw. you can specify drop tolerances for the iterative linear solver. My
experience with them however, is that fiddling out the values is more
trouble than the performance gain achievable.

> 2) Function for Matrix condition number for dense matrices, and
> Matrix condition number estimator for sparse matrices. Both are
> missing now.

dense = RandomReal[{0, 1}, {5, 5}];
LinearAlgebra`MatrixConditionNumber[dense]

sparse = SparseArray[{Band[{1, 1}] -> -2, Band[{1, 2}] -> 1}, {5, 5}];
LinearAlgebra`MatrixConditionNumber[sparse]

As I said, I filed a suggestion that this is to be moved in System`
context (with proper documentation)

Oliver