Re: Mathematica 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113923] Re: Mathematica 8
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 07:05:05 -0500 (EST)

If that response cited AMD, then I apologize for missing it. If not,
then it's no wonder I didn't see the connection to AMD graphics cards.

In any event, the support for OpenCL, as implemented at the GPU end by
AMD graphics cards, seems to be getting a decidedly secondary -- indeed,
perhaps, nearly hidden -- mention in the publicity for Mathematica 8.

Thus in the "News" area overlaying http://wolfram.com, one sees
"Pioneering Free-Form Linguistic Input"; "Revolutionizing ePublishing",
and "Simplifying CUDA Programming".  And the last-mentioned itemsays
nothing about AMD or OpenCL and has a link to a wihte paper on .

If you look at the page http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/new-in-8/,
then you do see a reference to CUDA and OpenCL finally.  And on the
target of that link, finally reference to AMD, too.

I'd like to see some discussion in this group about
advantages/disadvantages of CUDA vs. OpenCL, especially when used in
conjunction with Mathematica 8?  I'll have to upgrade my hardware from
an ATI board that's too old to support OpenCL, so I want to choose
wisely between ATI and nVidia, with now Mathematica 8 in the picture.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305