Re: Does activating 8 disable 7?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113906] Re: Does activating 8 disable 7?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 07:01:42 -0500 (EST)

For a copy of Mathematica on a stand-alone machine (i.e., one which does
not employ a server-based License Manager to authenticate copies), a
Mathematica license is tied to the particular hardware of the machine.
The "MathID" generated by Mathematica is based upon that hardware.

If you upgrade from one version to another on the same machine, no
problem (except using twice as much storage).

If you want to install a new version on a different machine, I believe
that would be the same thing as if you wanted to install your existing
version on a different machine: it's a matter of what your license
allows. And typically that license allows installation on only one
machine -- the one with the specified MathID.

If you want to deactivate Mathematica 7 on one machined and transfer
your license, for either that or for Mathematica 8, to a new machine,
you should of course contact Wolfram customer service.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305