Magnified or WYSIWYG notebook printing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121020] Magnified or WYSIWYG notebook printing
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 05:47:24 -0400 (EDT)

I posted a query recently about how to get magnified or WYSIWYG
printing of Mathematica notebooks, while working with the same
notebooks in magnified sizes on screen.  As a response to my own
query, what I've found works for me is:

*  Pick a stylesheet, or if necessary reset font sizes in your default
stylesheet, so that the font sizes appearing in the printout are large
enough to suit your taste _when printed as follows_.

*  When working on screen, presumably in the Working environment, set
the magnification (in the small menu at the bottom of the notebook
window) to whatever you like for your working environment.

*  When ready to print, make sure the following (nonstandard) setting
is set:

   SetFile >> Printing Settings >> Printing Environment >> Working

and then just Print.

Added notes:

1)  If you want to see in WYSIWYG form what your printout is going to
look like, just select

      File >> Printing Settings >> Show Page Breaks

then unset it when you're ready go back to working at full screen
width.  You do not _need_ to set this for printing, however, and the
printed size will not be affected by the magnification you're
currently using for the screen display.

2)  You can also leave the word wrapping command permanently set at

      Format >> Word Wrapping >> Wrap at Window Width

all the time; you do _not_ need to change this setting to Paper Width
for printing or for Show Page Breaks.

This is how things seem to work for me, at any rate.