Re: Plotting singularities

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116963] Re: Plotting singularities
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 05:40:56 -0500 (EST)

If I copy that same example Plot[Tan[x], {x, -3, 3}] form the Basic
Plotting page in the Documentation Center and evaluate the cell in a new
notebook -- or even if I evaluate it in place in the Documentation
Center page -- then I get exactly what you expect, namely, no error
message.  (Mathematica 8.0.0, Windows XP.)

On the other hand, you do get the spurious vertical segments at the
asymptotes. to avoid those, include the option:

   Exclusions -> {-Pi/2, Pi/2}

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305