Re: what's new in 8.0.1?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117207] Re: what's new in 8.0.1?
  • From: Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychurch at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 04:35:17 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 11, 8:03 am, John Fultz <jfu... at wolfram.com> wrote:
> I'm having trouble understanding what's got you so upset.  Perhaps you think you
> need to pay for the upgrade from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1?  Because you most cert ainly do
> not...this is a free upgrade, and should be available to any registered user of
> 8.0.0.  There's no intent here on the part of Wolfram Research to do an
ything
> except release a better product, and at least some of that betterment is in
> direct response to feedback from users of 8.0.0.
>
> The fact is that software development is an incredibly complex endeavor.
> Everybody in the industry releases patches, service packs, updates, or what ever
> you want to call them.  They do this because shipping absolutely perfect
> software is impossible.  It's not really hard, it's not insanely hard, it is
> impossible.  Even software such as TeX, widely regarded as one of the most
> bug-free bits of software to have ever been produced, has gone through many
> iterations with absolutely no new feature development to get there, and it
> *still* merits the occasional bug-bounty check written by Donald Knuth himself.
>
> The proper way to measure a software package is not by whether it has any bugs,
> because it does.  It just does.  You measure it by some combination of fact ors,
> including the seriousness or quantity of bugs, their relevance to your work, the
> responsiveness of the developer, etc.

I can't argue with that paragraph but I'd make 2 points:

1. re: bug. Evaluating user documentation before a release ought to be
part of the pre-release screening. Bugs that show up when evaluating
user documentation are, by definition, bugs that are readily
detectable. Allowing these through creates perceptions of carelessness
and poor quality assurance.

2. re: developer responsiveness. I have been waiting for an answer
from wolfram tech support for 2 months -- count them, 2 months. The
reason for the delay is that tech support did not know the answer off
hand -- it relates to how a particular function option is supposed to
be used -- essentially for the same reasons as me, inadequate
developer documentation. They contacted the developer but the
developer won't talk to them. Needless to say this is hardly premier
service developer responsiveness.

I'd hasten to add that when tech support know the answer to a question
I've found that a reply is generally forthcoming very quickly. And the
developers that contribute to Mathgroup are obviously responsive. But
when a developer doesn't adequately document their work (leading to
user and tech support not knowing how to use it) and then won't talk
to tech support, it is not a good way to run premier service software
licensing.

Mike