Front-End Options and Word Wrapping

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117678] Front-End Options and Word Wrapping
  • From: JCW <Please.No.EMail at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 06:58:59 -0500 (EST)

Front-end options in Mathematica STILL appear to be a morass, in spite
of P.J. Hinton's post of 7/25/01.  I have been unable to find an index
that explains what individual options (out of hundreds!) actually do.

For example, I have recently been importing a lot of old notebooks
originally written in vs. 2.2 (via the automatic converter in vs. 4.1,
since I couldn't get vs. 7.0 to do it directly).  All cells end up as
single lines that run off the edge of the window on screen.  Even
after I solve that problem (apparently only on a selected-cell level)
by checking "Format/Word Wrapping/Wrap at WIndow Width," many cells
still run off the side of the printed page.  I still haven't found a
way to fix the latter.

Is there a global option to set the 'word wrap' for the screen to
"WindowWidth" and for printout to "PageWidth?"  Is there a way to
modify (or even to see) the specifications of the "Printout" and
"Working" defaults?  I seem to remember that there was a global (or a
least a default) way to to this in older versions of Mathematica, but
I cannot find a way in vs. 7. -- JCW