Exploratory graph theory with Mathematica 8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117651] Exploratory graph theory with Mathematica 8
  • From: Yaroslav Bulatov <yaroslavvb at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 06:53:51 -0500 (EST)

I've put together notes summarizing tricks and packages I use for exploratory graph theory in Mathematica 8.

http://yaroslavvb.com/upload/save/exploratory-graphs.zip

Starting notebook is graphUsage.nb, and it links to more specific notebooks or external web-pages

Some highlights:

Fixing annoyances --
programmatically changing style of existing graph, modifying graphs without forgetting vertex coordinates, using GraphPlot's layout for Graph objects, aligning adjacency matrix with vertex labels in index graphs

Listing graph structures --
cliques, independent sets, maximal cliques, maximal independent sets, hamiltonian circuits

Visualizing graphs --
Showing all graphs that miss particular properties, visualizing graphs with intensity attached to vertices: pieGraph and fadedGraph. Showing graph with several types of vertices.

Graph theory and numerical analysis --
Visualizing solutions of graph structured LP's. Semi-definite programming for max-cut, tree decomposition, sparsity inducing cholesky decomposition