What gets put in ~/.Mathematica and why?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122698] What gets put in ~/.Mathematica and why?
  • From: Mike Witt <msg2mw at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 05:57:00 -0500 (EST)

I just fooled around with CUDA on my system for the first time, and in
the process I got the message "Loading from Wolfram Research server"
and it appears that a *lot* of stuff was downloaded. As far as I can
tell it went into my *home* directory, into /home/mike/.Mathematica/
Paclets. My .Mathematica directory is now, by far, the biggest thing
in my whole directory structure.

I don't understand why this stuff didn't go into /usr/local/Wolfram.
Now this huge amount of stuff, is going to get backed up every time I
back up my personal directory.

I'm curious if anyone can tell me what makes this (or any given
information) go into .Mathematica in my directory vs the "system"
place.

If it makes a difference, I'm using Mathematica 8.0.0.0 Home Edition on Fedora
14 (32 bit)

-Mike