Re: What gets put in ~/.Mathematica and why?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg122711] Re: What gets put in ~/.Mathematica and why?
  • From: Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at trm.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 05:52:34 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> I don't understand why this stuff didn't go into /usr/local/Wolfram.

because you are the "user" and user settings are stored
in the users home-directory, usually in a *dot*-folder. That's for instance the
same for applications like your browser or google-earth, to give an example
where its folder is quite large.

The reason is simple: On a multi-user system, I don't want anybody else to
use my installed packages, to use my compiled code or to use my license by the way,
etc..

The question is, why do you backup your whole home directory? Do you want to
save your browser-cookies for future generations? ;-)
When I do an backup, I store my Documents and mails. I don't keep
temporary files and backup settings only once in a while.

Cheers
Patrick