Re: SendMail - HTML/XML rathar that Plain Text

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129165] Re: SendMail - HTML/XML rathar that Plain Text
  • From: "Rolf.Mertig at gmail.com" <rolf.mertig at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 04:57:02 -0500 (EST)

It is straightforward to use Apache Commons via JLink to get your own
customizable SendMail function.
http://code.gluonvision.com/SendEmail/summary

--
Dr. Rolf Mertig
GluonVision GmbH

On Dec 18, 8:35 am, "Ernst H.K. Stelzer"
<ernst.stel... at physikalischebiologie.de> wrote:
> Dear Mathematicans,
>
> I have been using Mathematica's SendMail to send hundreds of personalized=
 emails.  Unluckily, one can only send plain text in the text body.  He=
nce the text cannot be formatted in any way.  In the documentation it say=
s explicitely: "SendMail automatically embeds graphics and typeset expressi=
ons as raster image files. It embeds sounds as audio files. It also embeds =
symbolic XML as XML files."  This also applies to "Body".  My question =
is, has anybody found a workaround, i.e. to be able to send the email as HT=
ML instead of Plain Text (Outlook lingo)?  Is there any chance that Wolfr=
am will update the SendMail function in the near future or would this requi=
re implementing a new protocol?

> Rational: We have various lists in Excel sheets, which we use either via =
the MS Office package or via small programs I have written in Mathematica. =
 They contain a column that contains a personal note such as: "Dear John"=
, "Dear Colleague", "Dear Prof. White",  ... depending on how well I know=
 the person.  Sending personal emails, which do not contain the addresses=
 of everybody else who receives the email certainly makes a difference.  =
I regularly attach extra files, which, believe it or not, is not possible f=
rom within Outlook.