Re: Search in Documetation center does not work

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg129249] Re: Search in Documetation center does not work
  • From: michael partensky <partensky at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 05:03:47 -0500 (EST)

Thanks, Murray.
I will try it and will report the outcome.
Best.
Michael.

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>wrote:

> Of course this should not be happening. It doesn't on my Windows 7
> installation of Mathematica 9 (running a Windows 7 virtual machine in
> Parallels Desktop on my Mac). Things to try, in order:
>
> 1. Starting with a clean cache and resetting preferences. See:
>

> http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/TroubleshootingMathematica.html
>
> 2. Try a clean start with new Base Directory and User Base Directory. See:
>
>   http://support.wolfram.com/kb/3274
>
> Note: do you still have version 8 installed? If so, it's just barely
> possible that something in your User Base Directory affected version 9, and
> step 2 ought to fix that. You can later move back any add-on Applications.
>
> 3. If that doesn't do it, this suggests your installation is corrupted.
> Did you download the installer (rather than receive it on DVD)? If so, you
> might try downloading again, being sure to check the MD5 sum to see that
> the installer wasn't corrupted during the download.
>
> 4. Uninstall and make a clean re-install.
>
> 5. Phone Wolfram tech support. (Surely you won't reach anybody there
> today, Christmas. With luck, their tech support will open agin Wednesday.)
>
> Those are exactly the steps I myself would perform in such a situation.
> On Dec 25, 2012, at 1:59 AM, michael partensky <partensky at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Hi everyone. I will be teaching in the spring  term, and all my notes are
> > in M8.
> > Switching to M9 created some troubles which I have to resolve before the
> > class starts.
> >
> > Windows 7 Ultimate, 64, Mathematica 9.0:
> >
> > This one is about  getting Help.
> > All my attempts to find anything through the search window in
> Documentation
> > center (DC) failed.
> > Hitting "enter" first freezes the DC window and then closes it.
> > Yet, I  can search by browsing through the menu without problem.
> >
> > I would appreciate your Help.
> > Best,
> > Michael Partenskii
>
> ---
> Murray Eisenberg                                    murray at math.umass.edu
> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
> Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone 413 549-1020 (H)
> University of Massachusetts                               413 545-2838 (W)
> 710 North Pleasant Street                         fax   413 545-1801
> Amherst, MA 01003-9305

--f46d042c6aed54a87004d1c31f5f

12 at 12:14 PM, Murray Eisenberg <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:mu=
rray at math.umass.edu" target="_blank">murray at math.umass.edu</a>&gt;</span>=
 wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Of course this should not be happening. It d=
oesn&#39;t on my Windows 7 installation of Mathematica 9 (running a Windows=
 7 virtual machine in Parallels Desktop on my Mac). Things to try, in order=
:<br>

1. Starting with a clean cache and resetting preferences. See:<br>
tingMathematica.html" target="_blank">http://reference.wolfram.com/mathem=
atica/tutorial/TroubleshootingMathematica.html</a><br>
2. Try a clean start with new Base Directory and User Base Directory. See:<=
br>
/support.wolfram.com/kb/3274</a><br>
Note: do you still have version 8 installed? If so, it&#39;s just barely po=
ssible that something in your User Base Directory affected version 9, and s=
tep 2 ought to fix that. You can later move back any add-on Applications.<b=
r>

3. If that doesn&#39;t do it, this suggests your installation is corrupted.=
 Did you download the installer (rather than receive it on DVD)? If so, you=
 might try downloading again, being sure to check the MD5 sum to see that t=
he installer wasn&#39;t corrupted during the download.<br>

4. Uninstall and make a clean re-install.<br>
5. Phone Wolfram tech support. (Surely you won&#39;t reach anybody there to=
day, Christmas. With luck, their tech support will open agin Wednesday.)<br=

Those are exactly the steps I myself would perform in such a situation.<br>
a href="mailto:partensky at gmail.com">partensky at gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br=

&gt;<br>
&gt; Hi everyone. I will be teaching in the spring  term, and all my note=
s are<br>
&gt; in M8.<br>
&gt; Switching to M9 created some troubles which I have to resolve before t=
he<br>
&gt; class starts.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Windows 7 Ultimate, 64, Mathematica 9.0:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; This one is about  getting Help.<br>
&gt; All my attempts to find anything through the search window in Document=
ation<br>
&gt; center (DC) failed.<br>
&gt; Hitting &quot;enter&quot; first freezes the DC window and then closes =
it.<br>
&gt; Yet, I  can search by browsing through the menu without problem.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I would appreciate your Help.<br>
&gt; Best,<br>
&gt; Michael Partenskii<br>
Murray Eisenberg                             =
du</a><br>
Mathematics &amp; Statistics Dept.<br>
Lederle Graduate Research Tower            phone <a href="tel=
:413%20549-1020" value="+14135491020">413 549-1020</a> (H)<br>
University of Massachusetts                        =
2838</a> (W)<br>
710 North Pleasant Street                         f=
ax   <a href="tel:413%20545-1801" value="+14135451801">413 545-1801</=
a><br>
Amherst, MA 01003-9305<br>

--f46d042c6aed54a87004d1c31f5f--