Mathematica question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124784] Mathematica question
  • From: Howie <hcohl001 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 02:39:11 -0500 (EST)

Let's say you've got an expression

expr = {Sin[x] + x^2 - x^2*Cos[x], x^3 (1 + x^2) - x^3, x^4 - x^3}

What does this mean?

Table[expr[[j]] // FullSimplify[#, $assumptions] & /@ # & // Expand //
@ # &, {j, 3}]

I am new to Mathematica as far as these more complicated expressions
are concerned.

Can you explain symbol by symbol?

I realize that the [[j]] is Part and that FullSimplify is applied //
Postfix to expr, but I don't understand what $assumptions means (I'm
assuming that these are some assumptions added to FullSimplify) but I
do not know where these assumptions come from.  Are these assumptions
the rest of the stuff on the right-hand side?

In reality I have a potentially much more complicated form of the
expr.

Thanks!