Re: Derivative of experimental data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124779] Re: Derivative of experimental data
  • From: Gabriel Landi <gtlandi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 02:37:26 -0500 (EST)

Dear All,

I really appreciate the discussion. Here are a few comments I have
gathered so far:

The Savitzky-Golay filter of Mr. Oleksandr seems to give the most
faithful (perhaps trustworthy) representation of the derivative, albeit
not obviously yielding a smooth curve.
As suggested by Mr. Odisio, the GaussianFilter and DerivativeFilter
implemented in Mathematica can give smooth curves, which may however be
problematic at the end points (apparently there are Padding options,
which I unfortunately have not yet tested).
Mr. Dahl, I was unable to use your package. I can produce the
interpolating function with no problems, but when I ask to compute it's
derivative, it freezes (the computation remains going indefinitely).

Again, thank you all for the tips.

Best regards,

Gabriel Landi