visualizing a maximum in the intersection between two surfaces

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg131066] visualizing a maximum in the intersection between two surfaces
  • From: dusko.cakara at gmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 02:34:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,
can somebody please help:
I want to visualize that for x+y=1, maximum x*y occurs when y=0.5 and x=0.5.

Graphically, this can be visualized as the maximum of the projection curve of the x+y=1 line in the x-y plane, at the x*y surface. Equivalently, we can look for the maximum in the intersection curve between the surface x*y and the surface peripendicular to the x-y plane with the base x+y=1.

Can I plot this in a simple manner?

Thanks in advance!
Dusko