Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg130842] Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!
  • From: "Ernst H.K. Stelzer" <ernst.stelzer at physikalischebiologie.de>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 05:03:52 -0400 (EDT)

This is a very good suggestion.  Stackexchange addresses this issue to a certain extent, particulalrly when questioneers and answerees continue to edit their questions/answers and point to the most complete answer.  However, the editors are very sensitive to to simply providing the code for a reasonable problem if it is not phrased as a question, which I appreciate and do not wish to discuss here.

Whenever I find interesting code here on mathgroup or on Stackexchange I copy it into one of my MathGroupTippsAndTricks notebooks and make sure it is in a format I will understand months or years later.  However, this concept fails once the notebooks contain too many dynamic entries and become excessively large.

I have also started to write more complete packages (.m) with comments and full names.  But how do I share them with the community?

There are also many sites for C-programmers looking for snippets of various kinds, but I have yet to come across one that can be searched ...

I agree with Paul, sharing notebooks, functions and code-snippets is a very serious task where Wolfram has to make an effort and either do it themselves or via supporting the community and where a good search functionality is absolutely essential.  The demonstrations project is by no means sufficient, particulalrly since it does not allow code that imports and exports data.

Sincerely

     Ernst

(possibly quite short, since sent via Outlook Web Access)

Prof. Dr. Ernst H.K. Stelzer
Physikalische Biologie/Physical Biology (FB 15, IZN)
Buchmann Institute for Molecular Life Sciences (BMLS)
Centre of Excellence Macromeolecular Complexes (CEF-MC)
Goethe Universit=E4t Frankfurt am Main (Campus Riedberg)
Max-von-Laue Stra=DFe 15
D-60438 Frankfurt am Main, Germany

http://www.bmls.de http://www.uni-frankfurt.de
http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-7648-2011